Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Civil Duty....


I received a letter a few weeks ago informing me that I was summons to Jury duty on the 31st of August. I was so nervous, the not knowing what to expect part of it. Blayne tried to reassure me by telling me what happens. He told me that once they find out that I was married to an attorney that practices in that court, I would be let go. I figured I could do it. I mapped my way downtown and found a place to park ($8.00 uhg ) I went to a room that was FULL of people.. I felt like a turkey being herded to a new turkey shed... Any way I checked in and found a seat next to a lady who I struck up a conversation with. This was her 4th time going through this and I felt that she was a pro at it. They called out 50 names and they left with a judge. So I sat there and read while I waited for my name to be called. After a short break and 7 other judges request for jurors, it was my turn.

I left with 20 other people, followed a balif down the ramp and up the stairs. My heart was about to jump out of my skin.... I did not want to do this and I thought that I would be released and sent home. We sat in the benchs and recieved instructions. Then our names were all put in a box and pulled out one by one to fill 12 seats....... I was Juror #7

We were asked several questions as a group, then some individual ones. The Judge asked us to tell them what we did for a living and then our spouse. I figured this was my chance to get out of it..... NOPE I was chosen to be 1 out of 6 jurors.

It was a personally injury case. Once I was in there and listening to the instructions of being a Juror, I started to get excited. I was able to see what Blayne did and how the process all worked. I listened to opening and closing statements and the whitnesses. The plantiff fell asleep, not a good thing to do infront of us. We found in favor of the defendant and it didn't take us long at all to diliberate. We finished and were able to leave by 4:30. I did NOT have to go back. I was finished with my CIVIL DUTY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved jury duty. It makes me more thankful for America and for the freedoms we have. I am glad you had a good experience! Good job and thanks for sharing.

Alisa said...

WOW- I keep wondering when Jay or I will get our chance. I did it at the end of my SR year of high school. What an experience. I really felt like I was too young, and immature. I got a summons right as we were moving away from Oregon.